Thursday, July 1, 2010

Baking Substitutions for Healthier Treats!

The 2 reasons why I now bake.

A Declaration of Baking Independence! 
For years I've said "I don't bake, I cook."  However, I am now finally starting to admit to myself that, yes, I do in fact bake...and it's fun!

The perceived constraint of not being able to deviate from a recipe seemed too restrictive.  I like having the flexibility to play around with amounts and ingredients, which cooking lends itself to very well.  My guess is that many of you can relate. 

Now, as I begin venturing out of my "comfort zone" with regard to baking, I'm starting to learn that yes, one can make substitutions to create delicious and nutritious baked goods.  You just have to be careful of what you change, and just how much.

The two reasons that I now bake are Nathan and Ariela (pictured above enjoying oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies).  Now they can enjoy a treat, participate in the process and I know exactly what they are eating.

Below you will find several substitutions that I have learned from a wide variety of sources, and through trial and error (Better my errors than yours, right?!).  Now you can have a treat without the added fat and calories of oil.  You won't miss the cholesterol and saturated fat from butter and eggs.  Use whole grain flour in place of all-purpose white flour for added fiber and nutrients our bodies need to function properly.

This is where YOUR comments are so vital.  I know there are many of you out there who have a favorite healthier subsititute that you like to use.  By all means, please share it! 

SUBSTITUTIONS

WHITE ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
Whole wheat pastry flour (for items leavened with baking powder or baking soda, not yeast)
White whole wheat flour (good for yeast breads)

The following flours are also fun to use too.
Garbanzo Flour (aka Gram flour) – Gluten free, high in protein and fiber. Used in Indian and middle eastern food. Great for flatbreads and thickening soups and sauces.
Spelt flour – an ancient cousin to modern wheat, spelt has a nutty flavor and is high in fiber. Great for breads and baking.
Barley flour – easily digested, wheat-free, low gluten content.

BUTTER
Non-hydrogenated, trans-fat free margarine Earth Balance is now available in sticks for baking too!

OIL
Applesauce
Mashed ripe bananas
Prune puree – Baby food prunes work great! 

EGGS
Flaxseed meal (2 Tablespoons + 1/4 cup water per egg)
Egg Replacer (1 Tablespoon + 3 Tablespoons water per egg) I use Bob’s Red Mill brand

CREAM
Cashew cream - Soak raw cashews overnight in water, drain and cover with fresh water and blend on high power until smooth.

MILK
Any of the following "milks" will do a good job at replacing cow's milk:
soy, almond, hemp, rice, hazelnut, or oat milk
GRANULATED WHITE SUGAR
Pure Maple Syrup
Agave Nectar
Brown rice syrup
Raw cane sugar (aka Turbinado sugar)
Organic sugar (aka Evaporated cane juice)
NOTE: if you use a sugar product, make sure that it says it comes from cane sugar. Otherwise it may come from a genetically engineered source.  Sugar beets are now commonly grown from genetically engineered seed.

So get bakin' in the kitchen and try one or more of these substitutions, and share your creations!  You'll feel less guilt, your body will thank you, and the smiles you generate will make your efforts worth while!

Have a Happy 4th! 

In good health,
Your Nutritionista



                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment